Designer Tidbits: V & Co

Strut your stuff in style this Summer with the newest collection from Vanessa Christenson of V & Co. for Moda Fabrics. Simply Style is just what you need to bring all of the trendy prints to your Summer sewing projects. Geometric prints, big florals and ombré chevrons make up this ultra trendy collection, and lucky for you Vanessa is here to tell you all about it! And for even more, watch our interview at Spring Quilt Market!


Q: Where did you find your original inspiration for Simply Style?
A: You will see in my collections (past and future to come!) flowers, and simple geometric designs, with a splash of vintage feel. These have been pretty consistent in my years of decorating, and go to fabrics for quilting, so naturally when I design fabric lines, these concepts are pretty dominant. I design what I find pleasing to my eye. :)


Q: What was your “aha” moment in designing this collection?
A: We finished designing and okaying colors and strike offs for this collection last year sometime during the summer. It was when I saw it all together, when I had my aha moment of how I was going to use the line.

Kaleidoscope Quilt Kit featuring Simply Style by V & Co. 
Q: Tell me about your sewing machines. What kinds do you have and how many?
A: I have a Bernina 185 and I just recently upgraded to a Bernina 580. My kids use and are learning on both. Although I have to admit, it's super easy to teach them on the 580 where I can easily have them change the speed to super slow and have them do more on their own this way. It's been a very good teaching tool. My 6 year old just sewed her own borders on a block we made into a pillow. She was so proud. And so was I.


Q: What is your favorite part of the fabric industry?
A: Favorite part of the fabric industry would be the ever changing style of a love that humans have had for textiles for centuries. I love to watch the trends of colors and size in prints, to create a different look of something that's been around for a long time. It's fascinating.

Confetti Quilt Pattern by V & Co.
Q: From what aspect of your life do you draw creativity?
A: Well, first off, color. There are certain colors that I'm drawn to. Second, ads. I know it sounds weird, but hear me out: in ads you are drawn to things that catch your eye, whether it be color schemes, or design. I pay attention to what catches my eye in each ad and then I let my imagination take over and go from there.

Q: What is your design process?
A: I first draw then, it gets placed in the computer using Illustrator.


Q: What is your favorite print in the collection?
A: Yikes. That is a hard one! Okay i can pick one: I'm pretty drawn to the simple rectangle prints, because they are great basics to add to any quilt design. Available in Graphite Gray, Lime Green, Aquatic Blue and Navy Blue.

Bubbles Quilt Pattern by V & Co. 
Q: What is the most challenging part of the design process?
A: Not repeating the same design over and over (especially the ones I love the most). I know I love chevrons, so instead of creating the same chevrons from collections in the past (that I have fallen in love with), I have to change it a little, to create a new look.  Perfect case in point would be the chevrons from the Simply Color, and the ombré chevrons from Simply Style.

Q: What are your favorite and least favorite colors and why?
A: Favorite colors are green, and blue. Always have been, I think it's because it reminds me of the beach. I grew up near the beach and I love anything that reminds me of being close to the beach. :) Least favorite color: purple, (but I like eggplant!), I don't know why. I've tried to figure out what purple has done to me in the past, where it all went wrong between us and I can't figure it out. When I do, I'm sure it will relieve years of therapy.

Color Block Pouches by V & Co.
For a closer look at Simply Style and a peek inside Vanessa's Quilt Market booth, watch our exclusive interview! We chat about all things style and design, you will not want to miss it!


Labels: , , ,